I’m interested in science, research, education, and technology—particularly relating to computer programming, data analysis, visualisation, and reproducibility.
My background is in research in the area of perception (vision and hearing; see my research) and in teaching perception and research skills (academic CV).
I’m currently living in Bathurst in regional New South Wales, Australia, and working as an independent consultant. If you might be interested in hiring me to assist with your research, educational, or technological requirements, please see the information about my consulting services for further details.
I update a few notes on what I’m listening to, reading, and thinking about each month.
I enjoy running and usually get out for a run a few times a week. I run in the occasional race and try to complete parkrun each week—and I’m currently contemplating running in another marathon.
Here are some articles that I have written on various topics of interest:
- Labelled multi-dimensional arrays for representing research data (2023-Feb-03)
- Creating heatmap visualisations for posterior distributions (2022-Nov-29)
- Extracting files from a remote zip archive (2022-Nov-21)
- Race report: Carcoar Cup half-marathon (2022-Nov-15)
- A Bayesian approach to perceptual difference scaling (2022-Sep-19)
- Benefits of storing and accessing research data in zip files (2022-Aug-17)
- Reproducing intention in research programming (2022-Jun-12)
- Camera shake and the stream-bounce effect (2022-May-19)
- Presenting images on the web with a higher apparent bit-depth (2022-May-15)
- Fitting models with circular data in PyMC (2022-May-04)
- Using containers for reproducible and collaborative computation (2021-Nov-06)
- An interactive image Fourier analysis website (2021-Aug-07)
- A web version of an interactive visual neuron simulator (2021-Jan-10)
- Rendering stimuli for perception studies using Mitsuba 2 (2020-Jul-02)
- Motion-defined surfaces and surface lightness (2020-Mar-04)
- Code review as part of a research workflow (2020-Jan-28)
You can subscribe to my RSS feed if you would like to be notified of new posts.
Please feel free to contact me by sending an email, interacting via Twitter, or instant messaging via Matrix.